Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Circus & Peanuts

Peanuts are an airborne allergen and just by breathing those in it could be very dangerous. For that very reason we are not supposed to have peanut products in our house or go places that have open peanut containers. So we cannot go to places like Texas Roadhouse where peanuts are everywhere and all over the floor.

A couple nearby towns were having a small traveling circus come.  We decided to go. It was just a large tent with a circus arena set up in the middle.  WHY oh WHY did I NOT think about the fact there may be peanuts there. It didn’t occur to me. We had gone to a much larger circus when Aubree was a baby and they had done away with peanuts because of allergies.

We were all settled in our seats and the Circus began. We had great seats. The kids were excited, laughing, having a great time.  Venders were going around selling cotton candy, popcorn, and all the toys that we cringe when we see them trying to sell. About a half hour into the show (the first show at this town) they announced that they were selling peanuts for the next 5 mins and there were prize vouchers in the bags. My heart stopped. In this hot, muggy tent they were about to be hundreds of people eating peanuts. I quickly took her out. I could not bring myself to risk it.  We tried to watch from the opening of the tent but she just could not get into it from that far away, plus it was making me nervous.  Luckily there was a nearby park so Aubree and I went there to play, while the rest of the group finished watching the circus. I explained to Aubree why we left. My AMAZING baby girl understood, and never once acted disappointed. Yet, how could a 3 year old NOT be disappointed with that?!?!?

Now I struggle with the fact that I SHOULD have known, I should have called, I could have caused her to have a bad reaction. Just sucks.  YES I believe they should have had it posted that there were going to be peanuts. But ultimately it is no one’s fault but my own. I as her mother should have checked in advance! Live and learn, but darn it. Not how I wanted today to go. It could have been worse; she could have actually had a reaction.  I am truly THANKFUL! She didn’t and I believe she didn’t because we got the heck out of there. Blah, Blah, Blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment