Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Education is key

I am proud of my baby girl. Allergies are a part of our daily life. Aubree being the middle of our three kids, allergens are constantly present. If your kids are like mine, they can get of from eating a great meal and ask for a snack! She is always so aware of the foods that she can and can't have. We make a little game of quizzing her with different foods to see if she knows what she can have. We have tried very hard to make her undertand that eating a food she is allergic to is dangerous. I have overheard her cousins trying to give her food that she is allergic to before and she simply says, NO, I'm allergic. It makes my heart swell with pride! For a 3 year old she sure is quite educated on food ;)

Sometimes I think I am more bothered/upset with her feeling different that what she is. This is all that she knows, and she is used to it! Me bringing "her special" cupcakes to a birthday party, wedding or shower is perfectly normal to her. Tagging along a lunchbox everywhere we go is normal!  SHE is a normal little girl that we just have to take extra special care of.

Aubree can have her "special kind" of Christmas cookie and icing too!


Thinking about sending her off to school in a couple years is nothing but terrifying to me! I need to start preparing her (and ME) now!  I have always been with her, watching like a hawk (and sometimes feeling like I have eyes in the back of my head) to keep her safe. How will I possibly be comfortable sending her off to school?!?  Her older sister, Hallie, is in PreK now. Hearing of all the snacks and activites they do with food amazes me. HOW could this possibly workwith Aubree? I have NO idea. We have time, and everything always works out! I am praying now....

We have this book : Food Allergies and Me: A Children's Book  By: Juniper Skinner

 http://www.amazon.com/Food-Allergies-Me-Childrens-Book/dp/1456413287/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326821599&sr=8-7

We love it! Aubree can really relate to the little boy. I think it is a great teaching tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment